What are Digital Skills?
Digital skills have never been more important than they are today. We’re living in a world that is increasingly realiant on technology. A world that is so different from just twenty short years ago. The pace of technology is outstanding. And even a little bit scary!
Digital skills are skills that enable people to effectively use technologies relating to things like the internet, smartphones, tablets and software among many other things. It’s a very broad term but one that gets a huge amount of media coverage. Why? Because we have a huge digital skills gap at the moment.
As an individual, it’s important to understand the value of digital technologies in terms of how they can imrove aspects of your life. Digital skills can improve your career prospects, business opportunities and communication skills.
As our world continues to evolve, businesses and other organisations are set to go through digital trnasformations. A third of company CMO’s say Digital Marketing will accont for 75% of their spending over the next five years.
These numbers are HUGE.
This highlights not only the importance of digital marketing, but the overall message of digital transformation that is happening.
It’s very clear that acquiring digital skills is a powerful thing that you can do to improve your prospects in life. Whether you’re a fresh-faced university graduate, the founder of an internet company or a seasoned executive of a multi-national corporation, digital skills can make an outstanding difference for you.
The Digital Skills Gap
It touched on this briefly earlier but let’s flesh this thing out a little more. The digital skills gap is a huge problem.
In today’s world, almost everything is linked to the internet. We consume content, buy things, book holidays, compare insurance, stream music, do our banking, all online. Marketing has alsaao changed forever. Consumer have become way more savvy than they’ve been in the past. Marketing strategies have shifted to cater for this increase in customer intelligence.
Considering the fact that 78% of people research the internet for a product before they make a purchase. It’s crazy that so many huge companies are lagging behind when it comes to digital skills and presence.
There’s a huge digital skills gap in a wide range of industries and verticals. This gap needs to be closed if businesses want to succeed in the long-run. Those who make the effort to upskill themselves will leverage their skills for huge success over the long-term. And it isn’t just about taking one digital marketing course. It’s a commitment to consistent learning for your whole life.
Nine Reasons Why Your Company Should Offer Digital Training
Thanks to Digital Marketing Institute for producing this infographic.
- Incredible opportunity – The digital economy has grown to a staggering $2.9 TRILLION in the crazy small number of twenty years.
- Huge demand – Because of the digital skills gap, the professional development market is expected to generate $8.5 billion by 2020.
- Students want it – Eight out of ten jobs now require some form of digital skill. These type of roles are only growing and they offer 18% more salary than similar non-digital roles.
- Marketers need it – Less than half of marketers feel proficient in digital skills.
- Sales pro’s crave it – A truly staggering 93% of sales professionals have not received any form of digital training. Over half of these people want help to improve their digital skills.
- Business need skilled staff – A gigantic 77% of companies plan to increase their spend on digital marketing over the next few years. Demand for specialist digital marketers has increased.
- Recruiters are looking – 65% of recruiters reported a shortage of digital skills for marketing roles.
- Growing demand – Over 54% of marketers planned to recruit more people in to their digital team in 2016.
- A thriving market – Job prospects for digital marketers will grow by 19% by 2024, fueling demand for skilled digital professionals.